Brief History of ISLA
ISLAis a 501(c)(3) non-profit. ISLA was incorporated in 2012, to address the needs of children who speak and/or understand Spanish and for whom Spanish is part of their family heritage. The organization has grown from serving 14 students and their families in its first year to serving over two hundred children and their families today via multiple programs. (Appendix K)
ISLA’s mission is to build community and leadership through education in Spanish Language and cultural immersion programs.
ISLA envisions an equitable society strengthened by the power, knowledge, and value of Latin American Languages and cultures.
Non-Disclosure of Confidential Information
Any information that an employee learns about ISLA, or its members or donors, as a result of working for ISLA that is not otherwise publicly available constitutes confidential information. Employees may not disclose confidential information to anyone who is not employed by ISLA or to other persons employed by ISLA who do not need to know such information to assist in rendering services. The protection of privileged and confidential information, including trade secrets, is vital to the interests and the success of ISLA. The disclosure, distribution, electronic transmission or copying of ISLA’s confidential information is prohibited. Such information includes, but is not limited to the following examples:
- Compensation data.
- Client’s data.
- Program and financial information, including information related to donors, and pending projects and proposals.
Employees are required to sign a non‐disclosure agreement as a condition of employment. Any employee who discloses confidential ISLA information will be subject to disciplinary action (including possible separation), even if he or she does not actually benefit from the disclosure of such information. Discussions involving sensitive information should always be held in confidential settings to safeguard the confidentiality of the information. Conversations regarding confidential information generally should not be conducted on cellular phones, or in elevators, restrooms, restaurants, or other places where conversations might be overheard.
Confidentiality Policy for Employees, Volunteers, and Board Members
Respecting the privacy of our clients, donors, members, staff, and volunteers of ISLA itself is a basic value of ISLA. Any information that an employee accesses, whether is personal, financial or any other type of information, is confidential and should not be disclosed or discussed with anyone without permission or authorization from the Executive Director. Care shall also be taken to ensure that unauthorized individuals do not overhear any discussion of confidential information and that documents containing confidential information are not left in the open or inadvertently shared.
Employees, volunteers, and board members of ISLA may be exposed to information that is confidential and/or privileged and proprietary in nature. It is the policy of ISLA that such information must be kept confidential both during and after employment or volunteer service. Staff and volunteers, including board members, are expected to return materials containing privileged or confidential information at the time of separation from employment or expiration of service.
Unauthorized disclosure of confidential or privileged information is a serious violation of this policy and will subject the person(s) who made the unauthorized disclosure to appropriate discipline, including removal/dismissal.
Personal Data Usage Data
While using any of our services, we may ask you to provide us with certain personally identifiable information that can be used to contact or identify you. Personally identifiable information may include, but is not limited to:
- Email address
- First name and last name
- Phone number
- Address, State, Province, ZIP/Postal code, City
- Number of children
- Name of children
The security of your Personal Data is important to Us, but remember that no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Data is collected automatically when using our services. Usage Data may include information such as your device's Internet Protocol address (e.g. IP address), browser type, browser version, the pages of our services that you visit, the time and date of your visit, the time spent on those pages, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
When you access our services by or through a mobile device, we may collect certain information automatically, including, but not limited to, the type of mobile device you use, your mobile device unique ID, the IP address of your mobile device, your mobile operating system, the type of mobile Internet browser you use, unique device identifiers and other diagnostic data.
Tracking technologies used are beacons, tags, and scripts to collect and track information and to improve and analyze our service. The technologies We use may include:
- Web Beacons. Certain sections of our service and our emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of a certain section and verifying system and server integrity).
Use of your personal Data
We may use Personal Data for the following purposes:
- To provide and maintain our services, including to monitor the usage of our services.
- To manage your account: to manage Your registration as a user of our services. The Personal Data you provide can give you access to different functionalities of the available services.
- For the performance of a contract: the development, compliance and undertaking of the purchasing products, items or services.
- To contact You: To contact you by email, telephone calls, SMS, or other equivalent forms of electronic communication, such as a mobile application's push notifications regarding updates or informative communications related to the functionalities, products or contracted services, including the security updates, when necessary or reasonable for their implementation.
- To provide you with news, special offers and general information about other goods, services and events which we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about unless you have opted not to receive such information.
- To manage your requests.
- For business transfers: We may use your information to evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Data held by us about our service users is among the assets transferred.
- For other purposes: We may use your information for other purposes, such as data analysis, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and to evaluate and improve our service, products, services, marketing and your experience.
We may share your personal information in the following situations:
- With Service Providers: to monitor and analyze the use of our services, for payment processing or to contact you.
- For business transfers.
- With business partners: to offer you certain products, services or promotions.
- With other users: when you share personal information or otherwise interact in the public areas with other users, such information may be viewed by all users and may be publicly distributed outside.
- All above with your consent.
Retention of Your Personal Data
We will retain your Personal Data:
- To the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations (for example, if we are required to retain your data to comply with applicable laws), resolve disputes, and enforce our legal agreements and policies.
- For internal analysis purposes.
- For a shorter period of time, except when this data is used to strengthen the security or to improve the functionality of our services, or we are legally obligated to retain this data for longer time periods.
Transfer of Your Personal Data
Your information, including Personal Data, is processed at Isla’s offices and in any other places where the parties involved in the processing are located. It means that this information may be transferred to — and maintained on — computers located outside of Your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the data protection laws may differ than those from Your jurisdiction.
Under certain circumstances, we may be required to disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in response to valid requests by public authorities (e.g. a court or a government agency).
- Request access, update or delete your Personal Data.
- Request correction of the Personal Data that we hold about you.
- Object to processing of your Personal Data.
- Request erasure of your Personal Data.
- Request the transfer of your Personal Data.
- Withdraw your consent to use or transfer your Personal Data.
- Any other right that the state and or federal law provides you with.
When you make a request regarding your Personal Data you must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative.
- Describe Your request with sufficient detail that allows Us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it
Changes to this Policy
Approved by the Executive Committee of the ISLA Board of Director